Nearly every day you are on campus, there is an event to attend: small department gatherings, sporting events, big concerts at Big Bridges, film screenings, lectures, trip around SoCal, discussions, art exhibitsÔÇŽ and thatÔÇÖs just on the ┬ÚÂ╣┼«└╔ campus.
ItÔÇÖs difficult to calculate the amount of events in one semester, so hereÔÇÖs a brief, not-exhaustive list of events in a recent spring semester week:
- A prize-winning historian and author lecturing on "Herman Melville and Slavery" and "Henry Ford and Capitalism"
- Holi, the Hindu festival of colors
- Several film screenings with filmmakers in attendance
- Student discussions on the presidential election, the U.S.-Mexico drug trade, and the sociology of monogamy
- Contra dance and ballroom dance lessons
- Conferences on criminal justice, disability issues, and┬áHaitian art
- Lectures on pre-modern Buddhism, pesticide use and environmental justice in Central America, the poet Wallace Stevens, public interest ethnography, California and climate change, 18th-century Cherokee women's diplomacy, trans justice, antimicrobial peptides,┬áand the historical roots of the banjo┬á
- New theatre productions
- Concerts and recitals by students, faculty and guest artists
- Art exhibitions
- Dance nights with DJs and Art After Hours, which is a Museum event with music
- Several like water polo and basketball
- ÔÇť47 ThingsÔÇŁ trips to see a musical in Orange County, Griffith Observatory, the L.A. County Museum of Art, the Aquarium of the Pacific, and L.A. Clippers and L.A. Kings games
Like clubs, many of these events are student-driven. The live bands playing at Art After Hours are usually student-led. The Black Hair conference, now a few years old, was started by a student. Students organize DJ nights at Doms Lounge in the Smith Campus Center, and collaborate with the Museum of Art on their weekly Art After Hours event series.
Or, you may find yourself holding a game night in your residence hall suite or meeting up with your sponsor group to have dinner on another campus. Your options are plentiful. Visit our Events Calendar to see what's happening soon!